Thursday, February 01, 2007

Alpaca Father/Daughter Hat



So, as a result of the chemo, which, by the way, rocks - I mean, it sucks to have to go through it, but thank God we have it - we are expecting my niece's hair to go on sabbatical. She has long dark hair, curlier than mine but just as plentiful.

This is a modified Father/Daughter Hat in a larger gauge than I normally knit it. It's Plymouth Baby Alpaca Grande, in the light denim colorway. This yarn is so wonderful to knit - it feels so good as you slide it through your fingers - but I will warn you that it pills. I made several pairs of fingerless mitts from Weekend Knitting out of this yarn, and a lot of little alpaca fibers knocked themselves out having a pill party. But I think a hat will be okay....

Anyway, I was thinking about how cold it would be without your hair, and how tender that skin is. If you've ever sunburned your part, you know what I'm talking about. And that's your part - not your whole head.

So this FDH has a longer ribby part (3"), to fold up a little and cover the neck a bit more. The gauge was 10 sts/3" on size 8 needles, and I cast on 80 sts to start. YMMV, so check your measurements and swatch (In other words, do as I say, and not as I do!).



PS Maybe this is a teenager thing, but notice how Fiona can manage to hide her entire body under a single hat. Or maybe she does have super powers.

5 comments:

Linda said...

That hat will be so soft for your niece. I hope she doesn't suffer too much from the chemo. x

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear that Fiona's chemo helps her and that she seems to be doing a lot better - I'm sending lots of positive vibes and energies over to her, all the very, very best!
And this hat looks absolutely amazing - so very warm and soft and cozy, it'll definitely keep her warm! Fantastic job!

Windansea said...

thanks queen - she's very strong, so the first round has been okay. Lydia

Windansea said...

Hi dipsy, thank you for your positive energy!! it's not Fiona who's sick, though, it's my niece - Fiona is just my hat model! Lydia

Unknown said...

I'm glad to here your niece is responding well to the chemo. I'm so sorry that she is having to suffer through that, but yet like you, am happy that it is around. Amazingly at how that hat matched Fiona's eyes..or at least in the picture. You should knit her one just like it, it looks great on her.