Saturday, October 14, 2006

When Knitting Hurts....


Desperate times call for desperate measures. When my elbow hurt too much to knit, I had to finally learn how to crochet, something I'd never been able to do before. I'm not sure if knitting so much enabled me to understand the yarn and how it knots better on a needle, or if desperation drove me to master the unmasterable. But it clicked.

The really great thing is that while I was learning single crochet, I figured out a use for some recycled sari I had in my stash. Let me tell you, it's beautiful stuff but it's a pain to work with. It knots, it frays, it splits, and it stretches. Coasters are the ideal product for this yarn, because they're beautiful and functional but it doesn't matter if they distort a little.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh very nice! I've not gotten sucked into the sari silk, but found the thread on Knitter's Review educational. Are the drink coasters flat enough for wine glasses?

Windansea said...

Hi suzanne, I had to try it - and yes, they work. You inspired me to post about them again, with simple directions in case anyone needs them! Thanks - Lydia