Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Target Wave


Isn't this a great pattern? These Target Wave mittens are from Knitting Nature, one of my favorite books for knitting inspiration. I'll admit I haven't knit very many Norah Gaughan designs, but I love the organic quality of her creations.


The gray is Malabrigo Worsted in Frost Gray, and the cream is some wool I had in my stash...Lana Gatto, I think. The pattern calls for knitting these mittens flat, but you know me, I hate to seam. I adjusted for the seam stitches and knitted the cuffs in the round, knit back and forth for the thumb hole, and joined again for the fingertips.


For the thumbs, I picked up stitches all around the thumb hole, adding a couple of extras where it looked like there might be gaps. Those I dispatched with a k2tog on the first round of knitting and then continued to the thumb tips.


The finished mittens were a little wobbly looking, what with all the curves and color changes, but I cut out a hand shape from an old Amazon box and steamed those babies smooth. I love them!

6 comments:

Bea said...

Very very cute!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Great little mittens. I seem to have the hardest time picking up those stiches...you did a great job!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Love them! I've always wanted to try that pattern. I almost did until I started looking at the ones on Ravelry and lots of them looked sort of wonky. I guess steaming and blocking are key with these.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

First off I love malabrigo secondly these are totally gorgeous!!Hugs Darcy

brandilion said...

Those are totally awesome! I wonder how comfortable they are vs regular thumb gusseted mittens.

g-girl said...

great mittens! love the colors you used.