Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October Sunset



The sky has been so beautiful at my house lately. October tends to be warm here with Santa Ana winds, and in the evenings this week there's been a dense marine layer (fog) just below us at the beach. I drive down from my house and descend into a big cloud bank...it reminds me of the cloud wall in Winter's Tale.


I sent Anna & Mary into the upper part of our yard to take these pictures a few days ago. Isn't the sunset gorgeous behind that palm tree? Don't you wish those phone lines were gone?



I look out at the sky when I'm cooking dinner, which happened to be quiche that day. The camera was out, so here's the quiche portrait as well. The crust is a snap in the food processor, although you could fake it with frozen stuff if you want, and the ingredients are anything you've got handy. In this case: a cup of finely chopped onion, a cup of diced ham, some broccoli florets, about of cup of whatever cheese I've got around shredded up. Beat four eggs in a bowl, add about two cups of milk/half & half/heavy cream or a combination thereof, a little salt, a little pepper, pour it over the filling. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 300 and bake until done, about 30 minutes more.

1 comment:

At Home Mommy Knits said...

That quiche looks great, especially since I'm surfing blogs instead of making dinner :).