Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Tam



Told you I'd start another hat...you know I'm into instant gratification. Armed with the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, I decided to knit a tam out of some Rowan Felted Tweed in the Sigh colorway I had in the stash.

The look of the yarn-over holes was inspired by the Noro hat here, (which I really like and intend to make sometime soon) although my holes were just k2tog, yo, ssk. The top is finished off with a little i-cord knot on three stitches. I'm into the body of a smaller one now and will try to write up a quick how-to when that's done.



In the meantime, the weather finally broke here and there were even a few drops falling today! My in-laws were allowed to go back to their place this morning - miracle of miracles, all the buildings including the house, barn, sheds, and whatnot, were still standing. The return was bittersweet, as the surrounding land is a moonscape with many of the neighbors' houses gone and John's uncle's place up the road among them. We're still thankful things weren't worse, although reading about the injured at the UCSD Burn Center is heartbreaking and scary.



The rest of the day will be spent knitting and watching a little TV, and rejoicing in the overcast sky.

1 comment:

g-girl said...

the tam is cute! glad to hear your in-laws were able to return home. too bad about the uncle though.