Sunday, February 11, 2007

Horseshoe Hat


Remember this?

You may also remember that I said I would write up a pattern once I figured out what I did...Well, I guess my mind hasn't been completely lost, because I found a piece of paper amongst my non-knitting things with notes about this hat!

Of course, I didn't write down what kind of yarn it was, but it was something bulky and a little hairy. It was 95% wool and 5% something else, if I recall. I'm not sure what this inability to save a ballband means, but I'm sure there's some kind of meme out there that would tell me. (What kind of knitter are you? Um...the non-swatching, distracted, ballband-loser kind, apparently.)

Here's what I did.

Gauge: 4 sts/inch

To start:

CO 80 sts & join for working in the round, being careful not to twist. Place marker to indicate beginning of round.

Make the brim:

Knit K2P2 rib for 4 inches.

Make the first Horseshoe:

Rnd 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 (all rounds except round 2): *P8, K12. Repeat from * to end of round.

Rnd 2: *P8, slip next 3 sts to cable needle and hold in back, K3, K3 from cable needle, slip next 3 sts to cable needle and hold in front, K3, K3 from cable needle. Repeat from * to end of round.

Second Horseshoe:

Repeat rounds 1 through 5 as above for first Horseshoe.

Rnd 6: Here you will decrease by 8 sts in the purl sections. *P2tog, P4, P2tog, K12. Repeat from * to end of round. You have 72 sts now.

Rnd 7,8: *P6, K12. Repeat from * to end of round.

Rnd 9: You're going to decrease again, but in the knit sections this time, and by a total of 16 sts: *P6, K2tog, K2, K2tog, SSK, K2, SSK. Repeat from * to end of round. You have 56 sts.

Rnd 10: *P6, K8. Repeat from * to end of round.

Third Horseshoe:

Rnd 1: *P6, K8. Repeat from * to end of round.

Rnd 2: *P6, slip next 2 sts to cable needle and hold in back, K2, K2 from cable needle, slip next 2 sts to cable needle and hold in front, K2, K2 from cable needle. Repeat from * to end of round.

Rnd 3: *P6, K8. Repeat from * to end of round.

Rnd 4: Decrease in the purl sections. *P2tog, P2, P2tog, K8. Repeat from * to end of round. You have 48 sts now.

Rnd 5: *P4, K8. Repeat from * to end of round.

Rnd 6: Decrease in the knit sections. *P4, K2tog, K2tog, SSK, SSK. Repeat from * to end of round. You have 32 sts.

Rnd 7: *P4, K4. Repeat from * to end of round.

Rnd 8: Decrease in the purl sections: *P2tog, P2tog, K4. Repeat from * to end of round. You have 24 sts.

Rnd 9: Decrease in the knit sections: *P2, K2tog, SSK. Repeat from * to end of round. You have 16 sts.

Rnd 10: Deacrease all around: *P2tog, K2tog. You have 8 sts. Break yarn, draw the tail through the 8 sts, and draw them together. Pull the tail to the wrong side and weave in ends.



That was pretty much it - if you knit this hat, drop me a comment so I can see the final product - Love that. And if you find I wrote it down wrong, let me know!!

Copyright 2007 Lydia McNeil - You may not use this pattern for profit or reproduce it for profit; you may use it to knit hats for yourself, for others, or most certainly for charity, but not to sell.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, great! Thanks so much for sharing this pattern - I'll definitely give it a try someday soon and will let you know how I'll get along with the pattern! It's such a gorgeous one!

Anonymous said...

Really lovely! I'm endlessly fascinated by how different designers handle to decreasing necessary with hats. I'll try to knit one up in the next week or two and let you know how it goes.

Sarah-Hope
www.whatifknits.com

Windansea said...

thanks dipsy, I hope it works out - I'm thinking of reknitting it myself in some bulky dark green I've got in my stash! Lydia

Windansea said...

Hi Sarah-Hope, thanks so much - I'm interested to see how it knits up! Lydia

Moiface said...

Wow very cool pattern!

-Moiface

randi K design said...

Thank for the pattern! The hats looks great!

Windansea said...

Thanks randi! Lydia

Windansea said...

thank you moira, I just came from visiting your blog - very beautiful!! Lydia

Anonymous said...

I made this hat and JUST realized my mistake... I didn't put enough brim, and I have a big head. But it came out so nice, and it was so easy. You really helped me with doing cables.
Total Kudos!