Wednesday, January 11, 2006

New Year, New Knitting


After considerable downtime off the computer, I'm back to the routine. And of course, I've been knitting! Santa brought some cool yarn and new needles and I cast on for a new scarf for myself - Misty Garden from Scarf Style. It's somewhere in the middle right now, but every couple of days I add a few rows. I have KADD (Knitting Attention Deficit Disorder) so I have to do lots of small projects while working on anything larger than a 6x6" surface area. The scarf will be done by the time it gets cold around here (June). Here in January it's been hot anyway.

So I'm using the very yarn that's in the book because I love the colorway. It's Jo Sharp rare comfort kid mohair, I think in rosebud, in a feather and fan pattern - it's totally cool when you hold it up to the light so the pattern really shows through. I got about 22 inches into the scarf before I read about a phenomenon called "pooling," so there are some place where the colorway kind of clumps, but I'm not going to worry about it. Since finding out about pooling I've read that you can switch skeins every couple of rows to avoid that (but then you've got a trillion loose ends to weave in - what a nightmare!). I'm just going to chalk it up to learning as I go and once I wrap the thing around my neck nobody will notice.

No comments: